Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Ramen in Decatur: Wa Ga Ya

Last week I ventured just a bit outside the Decatur city limits and tried the ramen at Wagaya, in Emory Village. It was a cold early winter day, with incipient rain, and I
wanted a quick, hot lunch to warm my spirits (I was painting the library all day long).

Wagaya's ramen is at least tied with Taiyo's. Portions are slightly smaller (though I went at lunch time), broth less rich (but just as flavorful), atmosphere is much friendlier, even cozy. Not quite to the level of coziness achieved by Sushi Avenue's Ponce Place store, but very friendly in a not-pushy way.

I had the "black tonkotsu," which is a nice tonkotsu embellished with some witchery involving a black slick of sesame-derived oil. Delicious! Noodles were slightly more cooked, more tender, than Taiyo's. Other ingredients were on a level with Taiyo's. I need to come back and try more of the offerings; Wagaya offers sushi too, and indeed a full range of Japanese offerings. Plenty to explore here! Parking can be difficult; I was lucky enough to get a spot in the hidden lot behind the building. 

No comments: